News

‘HOUDINI’ OF ALABAMA’S DEATH ROW IS EXECUTED

Time ran out for the ‘Houdini of Death Row’ last week. Alabama has put to death Tommy Arthur, the man who escaped seven prior execution dates for his conviction in a 1982 murder-for-hire.   Officials say the 75-year-old inmate was pronounced dead at 12:15 a.m. CDT Friday following a lethal injection at Atmore’s Holman Prison.   Arthur was convicted in ...

Read More »

FUNDING CUTS FOR STATE COLLEGES

The proposed 82.4 billion dollar budget state lawmakers sent to Gov. Rick Scott cuts 30 million dollars in funding for the state college system.  The majority of the cuts are coming out of remedial and developmental education at state colleges.  Many within the 28-college system are asking Gov. Rick Scott to veto the entire budget, in hopes lawmakers will return ...

Read More »

CHIPLEY MAN KILLED IN SUNDAY MORNING WRECK

An early moring wreck has claimed the life of a Chipley man. The Florida Highway Patrol reports that Travis Taylor Hamm, 28, was killed in a one-vehicle accident on S.R. 77 near Mobile Swamp Road. The accident occurred at approximately 5:30 a.m. YESTERDAY MORNING   Troopers say Hamm lost control of his 2000 Chevrolet Tahoe coming out of a curve. ...

Read More »

NOAA: ABOVE NORMAL HURICANE SEASON THIS YEAR

Forecasters at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center say the Atlantic could see another above-normal hurricane season this year.   For the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season, which begins June 1, forecasters predict a 45 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season. “As a Florida resident, ...

Read More »

HOLMES COUNTY SHERIFF HUNTING OWNER OF POSSIBLY STOLEN PROPERTY

The Holmes County Sheriff’s Office is trying to identify the owner of some possible stolen property. On May 25, 2017, several citizens called in reference a suspicious male riding a bicycle pulling a wagon on Hwy 179-A in the New Hope area. The male subject was identified as Ronnie Baxter, from Geneva. Deputies responded and located the bicycle and wagon. ...

Read More »

SUSPECTS WANTED BY WALTON COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

The Walton County Sheriff’s Office is currently seeking information on the two subjects wanted out of its jurisdiction. The suspect are Rostislav Lauko– White male, 38 YOA, 5’11”, 150 lbs., Brown hair, Hazel eyes.   This subject is wanted on a Felony Violation of Probation for the original charge of Felony Battery.  He was last seen in Walton County Florida. ...

Read More »

OPEC MEETING DISAPPOINTS; ‘GAS PRICE SURGE’ AVOIDED

TAMPA, Fla., (May 25, 2017) –Motorists will not have to worry about surging gas prices this holiday weekend after all. Thursday’s OPEC meeting had the potential to cause a stir in the stock market. What actually happened was quite the opposite.    “The expectation of a 9-month extension was already baked into the price of crude oil, so when no ...

Read More »

DEAR LETTER TO THE EDITOR, YOUR WIFE’S MAIL HAS DRUGS IN IT

A man pens a Letter to the Editor at the Northwest Florida Daily News complaining mail is not being delivered to his wife; a woman currently incarcerated at the Walton County Jail. Walton County Sheriff’s Office sniffed out the answer, which came in a 5×7 greeting card with drugs inside.   On April 25th mail clerks at the Walton County ...

Read More »

THOMASON DEATH PENALTY TRIAL UNDERWAY

Wiliam “Billy Thomason is on trial in Fort Walton Beach for the murder of his 8-week-old daughter. She died from acute brain trauma. The prosecution maintains that Thomason’s act was premeditated, point to the fact that Thomason downloaded  information on his phone about medical uncertainties and how shaken baby syndrome confuses juries shortly after the infant’s death. “He planned to ...

Read More »